quarta-feira, 17 de março de 2004

How we "met" Tom (III)

From: ivor (ivorrovi@sympatico.ca)
Subject: Re: When did you get lucky?



Newsgroups: alt.music.tom-waits
Date: 2004-03-16 12:39:12 PST


"my father was a drunk. He loved tom and forced me to watch Big Time one
night with him. I tried to hate it on principle. Couldn't though. I
first bought Swordfishtrombone. Then a friend suggested rain dogs. I
bought Frank's Wild years and then headed into the early stuff. found
myself up shit's creek on a drunken piano. Been walking spanish ever since."






From: Sarah V. (sarah@diespammersdie.raindogftp.com)
Subject: Re: When did you get lucky?


Newsgroups: alt.music.tom-waits
Date: 2004-03-15 04:37:02 PST


"The year was 1997. I had almost, but not quite, wrapped up my days at
university. I'd always been a big fan of movies. ;-)

I was/am a big Wim Wenders fan, and especially a fan of his soundtracks -
when I moved to London, I had just missed the opening in the U.S. of one of
his films, the End of Violence. I was pissed because it wasn't opening in
London for another 2-3 months. But the soundtrack was out, so I bought that
and listened to it a lot since I had only brought a handful of CDs with me
(when you can only take as much as you can carry, you start paring down your
CD collection pretty quick).

I loved (still do) "Little Drop of Poison"... started buying TW CDs after
that. Sadly, the first one I got was The Black Rider, which has got to be
the worst way for most people to get introduced to his music. I only really
liked a couple of songs on it, but I liked them so much I kept trying. I did
reverse chronological order - Bone Machine. I liked a few more songs on that
one, but still pretty harsh for me. For some reason I kept trying, and kept
making bad choices... The Early Years was next. After that I just bought
whatever was on sale, and there was (god knows why) Raindogs in the bargain
bin for 8.99...

My friends in college thought there was something wrong with me, but at
least I got to enjoy a new album release pretty soon after.

I had narrowly missed getting hooked onto TW several years earlier... my
brother, working at his college radio station, had made a mix tape for me.
He made me an all-female mix tape (thinking, presumably, my lame little
sister who listens to crap might like women because she's a woman too?). I
didn't really like it. So he made me an all-male mix tape, which was much
better, and I wish I could find it now because I can't remember most of what
was on it. I remember Phish, the Pixies, Lou Reed, and Tom Waits. Jockey
Full of Bourbon. Why the hell he thought a 16-year-old girl would like that,
I don't know - he even sort of apologized for putting it on the tape. He had
heard it in Down By Law, I think. But, actually, I kind of did like it, even
then, but his voice was "too weird" for me at that point so I didn't pursue
it.

To this day my brother plays music for me all the time and I never really
like any of it... kind of sad, really. He tries really really hard. What he
has successfully done is introduce me to some good filmmakers (Jarmusch,
Wenders, von Trier), and I pick up new music from their soundtracks. Not a
complete loss. :-)"

--
Sarah V.

Sem comentários:

Web Analytics